"You were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies."-1 Corinthians 16:20

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Baby steps...

Thursday morning, I faced one of my first challenges on this journey. My older kids were signed up to help run the concession stand at the Jr. Livestock Show for FOUR HOURS, and I had to stay with them. A whole morning surrounded by all those yummy treats that I love but need to avoid-nachos, hot dogs, candy, cookies, chips...all calling my name and within easy reach for the whole morning. Not something I was looking forward to, for sure.


But, much to my surprise, I made it through the whole morning and didn't get a single thing to eat (I did have a diet soda, but that doesn't really count). I was so proud of myself! I passed the test!
 
We came home to have some lunch before we had to head into town for the kids' Tae Kwon Do class. We were pressed for time, the kids were not being especially nice to one another, and I had a lot of things on my agenda that needed to get done. Not a good combination.
 
 
I was standing at the kitchen counter, making my sandwich for lunch, when I noticed the container of chocolate chips the kids had left out from breakfast. Without thinking, I reached in, grabbed a handful, and popped them in my mouth. I let the sweet, chocolatey goodness fill my taste buds and my heart. For a moment, I felt a sense of peace from the issues of the day. For a moment...
 
 
But, as quick as the chocolate melted, the stress returned and I reached for another handful. That's when God spoke to my heart. I realized that I was looking for peace in a place I was never meant to. I can find temporary peace from food, but lasting peace will only come from God.
 
 
So, I dropped the chocolate, finished making my sandwich, and thanked God for showing me that I don't have to settle for the temporary peace that comes from something that tastes good. Instead, I can have lasting peace that will stay in my heart, but not on my body!
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment